Saturday, February 12, 2011

The Internet is Sucking the Life Out of Me

It is ironic that I sit in front of my computer, typing this blog to tell you that I spend too much time in front of the computer.  Ugh!!  You must think that I am insane.  Sometimes I think that I am insane.

But, hold on a second and think about this.  Every day I think of something that I want to know more about.  In the past, the dark ages before the internet, I would put it on my list of things to look up when I took a trip to the library.  Or, I would take a class or go somewhere.  There wasn't this instant ability to know ALL about something.  We had to work for it.

When we worked for it we were forced to be outside of our own world.  Unless you had the entire Encyclopedia Brittanica (yes, your kids are going....the what?!) in your home you had to go somewhere else to find out what you wanted to know.  To do that, we generally had to make a plan.  On your list might be, run by the store and get new tennis shoes, pick up favorite magazine, call travel agent about upcoming trip and go by the kid's school to drop off check for summer camp.  Now, you might think that sounds like a lot more work.  But is it?

Don't you find yourself going out to the travel site to book a trip and you find something else that catches your eye.  A couple of hours later you still haven't booked your trip and you've spent all that time looking up vacations to Bora Bora when you just wanted to go to Cleveland!

There is so much information that we are overwhelmed.  We are more informed than ever (15 years ago, would you have known what was going on in Egypt?) but we lose big chunks of time surfing things that really don't enrich our lives.

So, I am putting a stop watch next to my computer.  I am allowing myself 1 hour on the computer a day for the next 5 days.  That includes the time that I spend writing my blog.  If I need to get a gift, buy a pair of shoes or research Bora Bora in the next few days, I will have to either leave my house or fit it into my hour.

Would you join me in this challenge?

No comments:

Post a Comment