Sunday, February 13, 2011

Step 1

Okay, I think "Step 1" was really cutting down on internet time.  But, I want to add to that.  In addition to cutting down on internet time, I want to unplug a little bit more.  Television....yes, that all powerful box that lures me in with the pretty moving pictures.

I have have a terrible habit of turning on the tv first thing in the morning.  It is for noise for the most part.  My dogs bark like maniacs at every outside noise.  So the television drowns out some of the noise and keeps them quiet.  But, then I get sucked in.  I have it on the Today show and I ignore about 60% of what is on but then something catches my attention.  I sit down to watch that 10 minute segment and I stay for far too long.  By the time I realize what time it is I am rushing around like a mad woman.

For the best part of the day the television is just running for noise downstairs...my office is upstairs.  But, in the evening, when it is time to make dinner I get sucked in again.  I may spend another 2-3 hours in the evening watching television.  It might be a family event and we watch something together.  But, is it really quality time?

If I want to find myself, I doubt I'm going to do it watching television.  Now, I may be wrong.  This might be exactly who I am.  I might be a watcher of television.  But, when I am upset for wasting my time watching mindless tv, my best guess is that isn't who I am.

So, I am committing to turning on the music first thing every morning.  That gives me the sound that I need to satisfy the dogs.  And, I won't get sucked in unless I just have to dance to one of the tunes.  Now that might be who I am!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment