Sunday, February 13, 2011

Valentine's Day Dinner

For those of you that avoid restaurants like the plague on Valentine's Day, here's a very special menu.  I'm posting it today because it does take some planning.  But, this is a meal that my whole family gets excited about.  I even took this tenderloin (8lbs.) as an appetizer to a party the other night and it was gone within 30 minutes!!

Beef Tenderloin
Steamed Asparagus
Wild Rice
Lava Cake with Raspberries and Cream

You need to start the Beef Tenderloin a little over 2 hours in advance of your dinner time.

Buy a whole beef tenderloin (some grocers will call it a roast; Sam's has a good selection) and have them trim the fat from it.  I've tried to trim the fat myself in the past and it isn't worth it.  The butcher, even at big box stores, will do it for you.  I allow a lb. per person so that we have leftovers.  Makes fantastic sandwiches!!

Preheat your oven to 500 degrees.  Take a long piece of tin foil and sprinkle with lemon-pepper.  Roll your beef tenderloin in the lemon-pepper, coating the entire thing lightly.  Line a cookie sheet with heavy duty tin foil and transfer the whole beef tenderloin to the cookie sheet.  Cook the tenderloin for 1.5 minutes per lb.  (family likes their tenderloin with no pink so I cook ours for 2 min per lb.   It's better when cooked for less time).  Turn the oven off after it has cooked and DO NOT OPEN the oven door for 2 hours.


About 20 minutes before the tenderloin is ready to come out of the oven I get my wild rice and asparagus going.  I just use a wild rice mix like Uncle Bens, but I add slivered almonds and a pat of butter at the end of cooking.


To steam the asparagus, you can put it in a shallow dish with about 1/8 an inch of water at the bottom.  Sprinkle it with Butter Buds and Salt-Free Cavendar's.  Cover with plastic wrap and microwave for about 4 minutes for a slightly crisp vegetable.  Microwave longer for softer veggies.


As those are cooking, get your Lava Cake started.  Use Dr. Oetker's mix.  I know it is available at World Market and maybe some grocery stores.  If you put it in right before you sit down for dinner it will be warm when you are just finished eating (you will have to get up briefly to take it out of the oven).  Have on hand Cool Whip (thawed) and a few fresh raspberries (already washed) to garnish.


To make the evening special...light candles, put on some soft music and set the table pretty.  Maybe even have some flowers (if that suits your style) or sprinkle the table cloth with a little silver confetti or chocolate kisses wrapped in silver and gold.  You don't have to go out or kill yourself in the kitchen all day to make it super special!  Even the kids will enjoy a special meal.


Bon Appetit!

1 comment:

  1. My sweetie and I are staying in and I planned on making my scrumptious pot roast. . I think I will try this. Thanks, Gini! Happy Valentine's Day oxo

    ReplyDelete