Friday, February 18, 2011

Jump Start the Process

As we help to prepare Murphy, my 17 year old stepson, for college I am in awe of the tools that are available to him.  On the site where we signed him up for the SAT there were all of these wonderful tests for personality, career path and majors.  I wondered if so many people my age would be trying to discover themselves now if these tools had been available when we went to school.

But, is it really ever too late?  Only when we are dead!!  As I have been working on my values, skills and talents outline I've wondered if it would be helpful to take the same tests that Murphy took.  Unfortunately, they wanted me to sign up for the SAT before they would provide the tools.  And, that ship has sailed!!  But there is always another way.

The DISC profile analyzes your personality and values!  It will also tell you what career is most likely to fit your particular personality.  The good news is that my values are in line with what I have been finding on my own.  Where I found real help was in getting more clear on my desires and skills.

I find that clarity is often hard to get my arms around when the task seems daunting.  Writing down my skills/talents and values felt important when I decided on these steps.  But, putting pen to paper and making something out of it has been difficult.  Stepping stones like the DISC profile or one of the many other tests available help to jump start the process.

What type of personality are you?

No comments:

Post a Comment