Thursday, February 10, 2011

Does it matter what color my parachute is if it doesn't open?

There are shelves and shelves of books in the bookstores relating to following your passion.  They tell you to do what you love and the money will follow.  They say that it shouldn't feel like a job if you are following your dreams.  They want to help you find the color of your parachute.

Okay, passion...check.  Do what I love...check.  Somehow though it still feels like a job.  I'm sure that my parachute is at least in the right color family.  Maybe it is even the right color.  I mean, I've done all the tests, I've listed all my skills and talents, I've chosen passion over money and yet here I am having mini-meltdowns in the middle of my office.  My parachute doesn't seem to be opening!!

The one thing that all of these career books don't tell you is that there are others on-board.  Yep, your parachute is full of clingers and if you all aren't in sync they can keep your parachute from opening.  Discontent employees, snarky bosses, limited tools...these are just some examples of the things weighing down my dream job.  And, that matters!

Yesterday, as I had my one hour session with my Coach (which she generally stretches to two hours....should I be worried) we were discussing this quest for self-discovery.  Clearly, working with a coach I have managed to discover the color of my parachute.  And when my husband and I made the move to the Carolinas I took a job that utilized my particular talents.  I have owned my own business for years but this seemed like a chance to do what I love without all of the headaches of being in charge.  Wrong!  So, now what?

It isn't easy to walk away from a job in this employment market.  We are all trying to make ends meet.  So, quitting a paying job that has the kind of flexibility that this one has seems downright irresponsible.  But, if I am slowly plummeting with a defective parachute...shouldn't I do something about it?

That's why I love having a Coach.  She pushes me and makes me answer the tough questions.  She makes me say out-loud what is stopping me from making a change right now.  She asks me how I am ever going to find myself if I am busy having mini-meltdowns.  She gives me homework.

1.  Identify what fear is keeping me from quitting this job.  And, yes, fear is what generally keeps us from doing what we want to do.

2.  Visualize what I want my day to day life to look like.  I'm good at the grandiose end-result, glorious fame type of visualization, but I have a tendency to overlook the meat of the journey.

3.  Get more clear about what this journey/quest really means.  How do I plan to make this part of my identity (important for me but not necessary for everyone)?  What is it that I intend to gain from this exercise?

Good questions and even though it is just three, they are heavy.  And, she expects answers!

Note:  Find more information about my Coach on my Links page.

No comments:

Post a Comment